I am a big guy for my height (5-11 245 lbs). Being a big guy has a LOT of advantages. You’re less likely to get punked by anybody. You are also the one they call when someone needs a “problem solver”. On the other hand, just like with everything else in life, being big has drawbacks:
1) The latest styles look ridiculous on you, like somebody took a tent and screenprinted a design on it for you
2) You tend to get looked at as aggressive and slow. Almost beastlike in someways. In someways it is a compliment and a complement to your attitude and ego.
3) Those joints start hurting after a while.
Okay, enough of my ranting against being big… Here are 5 simple lifts for power and strength:
1) Bench Press- the grandaddy of em all… what man (or woman) doesn’t want a nice strong bench press?
2) Overhead/Military Press- One of the best overall growth exercises there is.
3) Squat- Power, pure power.
4) Barbell Row- If it’s good enough for every bodybuilder and pro athlete since time began, it’s good enough for you.
5) Deadlift- Want a nice strong back from top to bottom? Get with this one. Form over poundages will prevent debilitating injuries.